Thursday, September 6, 2007

Crypt Cookies






Today our class had a walking tour of St. Paul’s Cathedral, which was unbelievably cool. Our professor is the head archeologist for the church so we got a private tour of the crypts, vaults and storage rooms in the attic. We climbed a really steep spiral staircase that lead to a Birdseye view of the entire cathedral. I mean, the view was spectacular but my knees started to get a little wobbly from the height. After our professor lectured us on the various elements of the church, nave, artwork, architecture, etc he let us wander around alone to “really get a feel for the church”. As I was wandering, trying to get a feel amongst the paintings of Jesus, I smelled something magical. At first I was ecstatic- the scent of freshly baked cookies wafted into my nostrils but then I was troubled for several reasons. One: am I going insane because I smell delicious cookies? Two: if the cookies are not a hallucination why the hell is a really famous and well-respected church baking cookies? So, I decided I wasn’t crazy and I followed my nose with futile hopes that it would lead me to the doughy goodness. Praise be! Miracles do happen! I wound up right in front of the Crypt Café! I kid you not. There is a Crypt Café. SO while my classmates tried to find god I found myself happily munching away on a freshly baked brownie and sipping a tall glass of milk. I love churches.

Anyways, here are some pictures from the walking trip and outings last night. I’m shocked! I didn’t know most of the kids before the trip but now we all go out in one big group. Gotta love Camp Colgate.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pearl,

I'm sitting at my desk laughing out loud about your church/brownie adventures!!! Thanks for keeping us up to date with your adventures and your dietary delights!!!

Anonymous said...

obviously you found the cookies. obviously.