Sunday, September 9, 2007

The Bangladeshi Messy? The Curry Two-Step?




Two nights ago we saw Shakespeare’s “Love’s Labor’s Lost” preformed at the Globe Theater. Our professor, trying to give us a realistic portrayal of the Shakespearean era, bought us all standing room tickets. I know, seeing Shakespeare is horrible enough but to see it standing for three hours with nothing to lean on is actually excruciating. My body went numb after the first hour and I think my classmates felt the same. We all left (including the professor) at intermission. More like “Friday Night’s Lost”- pun intended.

Moving on.

This morning we woke up very early and headed over to the Brick Lane Market. Brick Lane, also known as “Bangla Town”, seems to be in a time capsule. Walking down the cobble stone streets with salespeople calling out to buy their goods seems so 1800’s! I loved it. Granted, most of the people were selling absolute trash- it was still such an experience taking it all in. People were yelling out to their friends/ family in various languages and even the street signs were written in Hindi. Now I can check India off my places to see. One section of Brick Lane is all Indian restaurants. The owners stand outside of their respective restaurants and pretty much heckle customers to come inside. We ended up getting too overwhelmed and chose the one my guidebook suggested. It was delicious. Too delicious. I ate enough food to feed an Indian family for about 5 weeks. I don’t know what was wrong with us- we were complaining how full we were and how we couldn’t eat one more bite yet the Nan kept being passed and the curry was flowin’. On the bus ride home, stuffed to the point of nausea, we thought it would be really cute to make up names for what happens to people who overeat… need I say more about the title?

AFTER the binge, we went to the Australian dance party in Shepard’s Bush. The entire point of the party is to dress in ridiculous clothing and listen to the live bands play. It was excellent. Noah, John, Katy and I ended up hanging outside of the park for a while enjoying the beautiful weather. On the way back from the dance party the man next to me on the tube was brushing his teeth. Normal. It was a very full day- in all senses of the word! Ha ha.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love curry! so jealous

(please note i comment on every post ms. b. im the best haha)

Anonymous said...

love R

Anonymous said...

i love to read about your london experience!!! i open to brookes blog before the the new york times