Sunday, October 14, 2007

And if the jellied eels don’t tickle your fancy maybe the fish head soup will….



Now that my parents are here my gastronomic possibilities have expanded exponentially. After a very long day of touring (we hit the British Museum, Sir John Soane’s Museum, the Tate Britain, Neal’s Yard, Covent Garden, Westminster, Leicester Square and Piccadilly) we were ready for a delicious meal. Side note- after I wrote out all of the places we went I was very impressed. Who needs a week in a London when I can show you everything in one day?! I may start my own “bidness”- a fast walking tour of London… the weak need not apply. Moving on (literally). The concierge sent us to J. Sheeky’s, a very British restaurant specializing in fish, for our pre-theater dinner. When I first saw the restaurant I was slightly apprehensive because, I kid you not, the doorman was Charlie Chapman reincarnated. Clearly we made fun of him under our breath as he opened the door for us. Inside, and seated comfortably next to a really ugly, British man with eight chins and his equally handsome wife, we perused the menu. Nothing, I repeat nothing, sounded good. As you all know, for me not to see one item that looks good is pretty difficult. I do not like jellied eels, fish head soup, fried skate and pretty much everything else they were offering. Too embarrassed to leave, we ordered salted sea bass for two and Dover sole. I was mad. This was my chance to eat out and enjoy the high life of London with my parents but instead we were stuck in this haunted house for fish. But in the end the three of us were BLOWN away. Best, most fantastically marvelous fish we’ve ever had. Moral of the story: don’t judge a menu by its jellied eel special.

After the magic we were driven over (yes, the restaurant arranged a car. They can do fish and service. Go figure). We saw Billy Elliot the musical. It was the 1000 performance! Mazel Tov, Billy!

No comments: